Thai Crime: The Saga Of Red Bull Scion Continues

The Public Prosecutor Commission formed a committee to investigate a former deputy attorney-general who dropped a reckless driving charge against Red Bull scion Vorayuth “Boss” Yoovidhya.
Pachara Yutidhammadamrong, the head of the commission, said the decision was made to form a probe committee because former deputy attorney-general Nate Naksuk had been reckless while handling Vorayuth’s hit-and-run case. Thanapit Munphruek, former head of the Office of the Attorney-General’s Department of Special Litigation, headed the investigation committee.
Pachara said the probe committee would determine whether Nate made any decisions that could have caused serious damage. Nate would be retroactively dismissed if he committed a serious disciplinary offense.
Vorayuth’s major charges of reckless driving that caused death were dropped last year by Nate.
Vorayuth’s black Ferrari rammed into Pol Sgt Maj Wichian Klanprasert’s motorcycle on Sukhumvit Road on Sept 3, 2012, and he died instantly.
The statute of limitations for reckless driving causing death is 15 years and will expire on September 3, 2027.

The Open Case Against Red Bull Scion

It was in 2012 that the hit-and-run case of Red Bull scion Vorayuth “Boss” Yoovidhya became the talk of the town after news broke that the charges would be dropped.
Vorayuth had postponed attending his court hearing more than five times before fleeing abroad on his private jet.
While he was overseas, his speeding charge was dropped after its one-year statute of limitations expired. On Sept 3, 2017, a second charge of failing to stop to aid a crash victim expired.
Vorayuth was effectively acquitted of the most serious charge, reckless driving that causes death, due to state prosecutors’ decision to drop the charge.
Consequently, all local and international arrest warrants were revoked.
On July 24, CNN and Reuters reported that a police panel reviewing the case had no objections to dropping the last charge.
Public outrage over the case led Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to order a panel led by former graft buster Vicha Mahakun to investigate the decision to drop the reckless driving charge.
The panel concluded that police in the case produced a flawed report that led prosecutors not to indict Vorayuth for reckless driving that caused death.
To identify officials involved in the alleged mishandling of Vorayuth’s case, the findings were submitted to the Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission.
A revamp of the justice system was also recommended by Vicha
The Public Prosecutor Commission did not set up a panel to investigate Nate Naksuk’s decision to drop Vorayuth’s case, because he signed the decision to drop the case.
During an investigation into Vorayuth’s case, crucial evidence was uncovered.
According to a prosecutor, he was scheduled to face reckless driving charges until 2027 as well as cocaine consumption charges until 2022.
However, public prosecutors, earlier this month insisted they cannot proceed with the cocaine charge.
Their duty was to wait until police arrested the Red Bull scion and brought him to trial.

Tags: , , , ,


%d bloggers like this: