Thai Crime: An Autopsy of Suspect Who Was Killed By Thai Police in Viral Video Released

An autopsy conducted revealed that Jeerapong Thanapat, a deceased drug suspect in police custody in Nakhon Sawan province, died of suffocation.
Although traces of drugs were found in his body, they were not the cause of death, according to Pol Col Anek Taosuparb, one of the officers leading the investigation panel into Jeerapong’s death.
A drug squad from the Muang Nakhon Sawan police station arrested Jeerapong and his wife on Aug 4, posing as potential customers.
On the basis of intelligence reports, they took them to their home in Takhli district of the same province to seize ice and amphetamine.
They brought him back to the police station for questioning after finding nothing at his house. Jeerapong was suffocated at noon on the following day, as shown in the video clip.
During the session, Thitisant Utthanaphon, chief of the station, joined the investigation. The earlier sting operation and arrest had not involved him.
Jeerapong’s head was covered in plastic bags so he wouldn’t see his face, according to Pol Col Thitisant. Jeerapong’s hands were tied in front, so he tried to tear the bags, so more than one bag was used. His hands had to be tied behind his back.
He stopped Jeerapong’s breathing when he noticed that he was lacking oxygen. He was given cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) by Pol Lt Torranin Maswanna, one of the team members.
In a car, they drove him to Princ Paknampo Hospital at 1.30 pm. Police Captain Thitisant followed in another vehicle.
Investigation reports state that while they were on their way to the hospital, Pol Lt Torranin continued to perform CPR on him. Jeerapong’s medical records showed that he had no pulse when he was taken to the emergency room.
The hospital received information from Pol Col Thitisant. An ice drug suspect had been chased by the police for 10 minutes, he told the staff. He fell and was not breathing after being caught.
Doctors applied electric shocks to restart his heart before they could find a pulse. They also inserted a tube into his bladder to obtain urine for drug screening as claimed by Pol Thitisant.
Jeerapong was transferred to Sawanpracharak Hospital at 7.20 pm as he required specialists and was involved in a drug case.
Upon arriving at the hospital, he was bleeding from the abdomen and had no vital signs. On Aug 6, doctors tried to restart his heart for 30 minutes, but he died at the public hospital at 1.20 p.m.
Since they found substances in his urine, the doctors at Sawanpracharak Hospital ruled the death a drug overdose. Asphyxiation was also mentioned as a possible cause.
On Aug 27, Methee Wongsiriwan, assistant to the secretary-general of the Medical Council of Thailand, said that, when a person died at a hospital, his relatives would need a death certificate from the doctor there indicating the cause of death. In accordance with the law, the district’s census office must be notified of his death within 24 hours.
Nevertheless, where the cause of death is not known at the time, an autopsy must be performed, he said.
“There are five types of deaths that require an autopsy by law: murder, suicide, killing by animals, unknown causes of death, and death in custody,” said Dr. Methee.
The hospital must have conducted an autopsy before cremating Jeerapong’s body, but the results weren’t immediately available, he said.
Pol Col Thirasant turned himself in without seeking bail. Earlier, six other policemen at the police station surrendered or were arrested.
Pol Col Thirasant and Pol Lt Torranin have been charged with murder, which carries the death penalty, and three lesser charges. All of them were denied.
Seven suspects were detained in the high-security wing of the Phitsanulok prison. If they had remained in the single-wing Nakhon Sawan jail, they would have been locked up with the people they sent to prison. Furthermore, the charges against them were serious, they said.


Domestic flights have started in Ubon again.

Tags: , , , ,

%d bloggers like this: