The Myanmar Military Captain Who Tried To Kill Aung San Suu Kyi’s Father, Has Died Of COVID-19

The former military captain who shot pro-democracy leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi 32 years ago died of COVID-19 after he was initially turned down for treatment by a military hospital.
An ex-captain died at a medical facility run by the military on Saturday in Yangon’s Hmawbi district.
The National League for Democracy (NLD) candidate was on the campaign trail in Ayeyarwady Region on April 4, 1989, when she and her supporters were confronted by a group of soldiers led by a captain in the delta town of Danubyu. Because of the huge popular support for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her NLD at the time, the then military regime tried to suppress them.
Myint Oo ordered the procession to disperse that day. Despite the soldiers’ warnings, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her supporters continued to walk on the side of the road, prompting them to point their rifles at the group.
The intense situation was defused by a major who interrupted the captain and told him not to shoot, telling him, “This isn’t the front line… This is politics.”
Myint Oo was furious at the major’s intervention. On the spot, he tore off his epaulets.
Several years later, the captain recalled that he would have fired on Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her supporters if he had received a written order from higher up.
I just wanted to follow orders as a responsible soldier,” he said, adding that the last-minute change in the order made him angry enough to tear off his epaulets, because “they didn’t follow the order they issued.”
Myint Oo remained in the army despite tearing off his epaulets until 1992 when he was transferred to the Irrigation Ministry, where he eventually retired as a deputy director.
He remained anti-NLD and anti-Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, using his Facebook account to express his displeasure and loyalty to the military after the NLD came to power in 2015.
On July 18, however, he was rushed to the 1,000-Bed Military Hospital in Yangon after developing a fever, one of the symptoms of COVID-19. Officers on duty yelled at him and did not welcome him. He tested positive two days after seeking admission and was sent to a COVID-19 center without proper referral documents. He has also turned away from that center.
This angered him so much that he wrote on his Facebook page that he “didn’t want to turn red after having been green for so long,” meaning that he was pondering whether to support the NLD after being betrayed by the military.
While Myint Oo was glad that he was finally taken care of by the military he held dear, the first rejections and mistreatment of him there made him contemplate the true nature of the military he had been loyal to all of his life.

Tags: , , , ,

%d bloggers like this: