A Myanmar Journalist Was Sentenced to Three Years While Japanese Journalist Was Freed

A Myanmar journalist who reported on anti-government protests has been jailed for three years, his news organization reported, while authorities freed a twice-arrested Japanese journalist.
During a military court trial in Bago on March 3, Min Nyo, a reporter for the Democratic Voice of Burma, was convicted in one of the first verdicts against media workers since February 1st. 2021 military coup.
Myanmar’s military authority must release Min Nyo immediately, as well as other detained or convicted journalists, DVB said recently. It said his family was denied visits and beaten by police.
UN Special Rapporteur on human rights in Myanmar, Tom Andrews, denounced the government, saying: The world cannot sit idly by while the junta’s repression apparatus imprisons the truth and those who risk their lives to reveal it.
Kitazumi, who runs a media company in Yangon, was arrested for the second time since the coup and was the first foreign journalist arrested.
During Myanmar’s transition to democracy and reform after the end of military rule in 2011, Japan was a major investor and source of technical assistance and development aid for the country.
Since the coup, Myanmar has struggled to maintain order amid a groundswell of public anger over the military’s overthrow of Aung San Suu Kyi’s government.
AAPP reports that journalists are among the nearly 4,900 who have been arrested.
Several news outlets have had their licenses revoked by the military, which has restricted internet access and used lethal force to suppress countrywide strikes and protests against it. At least 785 people have been killed by security forces, according to AAPP figures.
A demonstration marks the 100th day since Myanmar’s military coup in Pyigyidagun Township in Mandalay recently. Human rights groups have urged Thailand not to deport three DVB journalists.
Emerlynne Gil, Amnesty International’s deputy regional director said journalism had effectively been criminalized by Myanmar’s generals.
Gil said in a statement that military authorities are ruthless in stifling dissent and silencing those who seek to expose military abuses.
In recent weeks, hostilities between the military and several ethnic minorities have resumed. armies, fatal attacks on military-government-appointed administrators and ambushes of police and soldiers by militias calling themselves People’s Defence Force.
Recently, MRTV reported martial law had been declared in Mindut in northwest Chin State, where resistance groups said there had been heavy fighting between armed civilians and military government troops.
In the meantime, protests have continued across Myanmar, with motorcyclists taking to the streets in Mogaung in Kachin state and dozens marching in Mandalay despite threats of a violent military crackdown.
A candlelight strike was also recently held at night in Mingaladon, north of Yangon, the country’s largest city and economic hub.

My email is tomtardis@yahoo.com

Tags: , , , , ,

%d bloggers like this: